Latvijas Republika Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

System of Government

+5
Namejs
Uncle Sam
JMatH
Joey Phillips
RoyMunson
9 posters

Go down

System of Government Empty System of Government

Post  RoyMunson Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:42 am

This is what I and United Latvia would like to see for eLatvia:

Democracy: United Latvia believes in citizen participation over government intervention. United Latvia wishes to give all citizens a choice over what their nation does. The United Latvia will keep the forums public as well as offer complete transparency and an open discussion on every political issue.

Anti-Racism: Zero Tolerance to racism, on the forums and IRC and any form of media. United Latvia believes that all eCitizens are equal, regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or age.

Health Care: The treasury should be spent on infrastructure. Instead of saving much of the treasury, that makes us a target for a takeover, we spend it on a Q5 hospital from the lowest bidder immediately. Latvia should have at least one Q5 hospital, if not more.

Neutrality: We shouldn’t join PEACE or ATLANTIS; Latvia should be a Neutral nation in this on-going dispute. United Latvia, doesn’t want eLatvia to be a battlefield for feuding nations to fight over.

Military: Spending on major governmental programs such as a military will be debated. All citizens are encouraged to take up arms for eLatvia if attacked. Government funds will be allocated according to public demand.

National banks: United Latvia advocates strongly against national banks, and will never form a bank. National banks are vulnerable to corruption, allowing an organization to have unlimited access to the treasury is extremely dangerous.

Last edited by RoyMunson on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoyMunson
RoyMunson

Back to top Go down

System of Government Empty Re: System of Government

Post  Joey Phillips Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:27 am

biggest problem will be leaving money in the hands of some people. All owners or holder of government organizations should have to take oaths or affirmations before receiving passwords.
Joey Phillips
Joey Phillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Joey Phillips Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:30 am

and I agree, congress and the president should only be figures who impose the will of the people.
Joey Phillips
Joey Phillips

Back to top Go down

Post  JMatH Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:41 am

Joey is most definitely right about government organizations. Some type a type of oath or promise should be made.

I agree with everything said. Presidents should only be figures and the voice to other countries for the citizens.
JMatH
JMatH

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Sam Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:58 pm

RoyMunson wrote:This is what I'd like to see for eLatvia:

1-Party containing all citizens.

The Executive power is dictated by the eRep powers of the President.

The Legislative power will belong to the people. All congressmen would vote in accordance to the results of a public vote (1 citizen = 1 vote). Congress positions would be valuable only for the 5 gold, as they are to vote with the public, or the President will veto the bill.

All forum threads would be public. Some threads, such as the Congress thread that reveals the results of the public votes, would be read-only.

There would be NO Cabinet or any other "non-eRep" positions. By limiting the size of government, and not allowing the creation of new positions, we can limit corruption and patronage.

The Party President would also be the eLatvian candidate for President. We will more than likely be subject to takeover attempts, so this way we can avoid Presidential takeovers by not splitting votes and allowing an invader to win.

If there are no "made-up" positions of government, and the forums and votes are all public, there is no need for rival domestic parties. For the first few months, we need to come together and keep eLatvia independent and free.

Please feel free to comment.

There are things I agree with and disagree with in this statement.

1 Party containing all citizens is great in theory, however we all know that there will be more people who come to Latvia for a PTO, and so there will be many that are created. As far as our own government organized party, I would have to say it's a good idea. We need to have a strong way to advertise it though and let people know that we are the leading party. Given our time frame, we need to decide who will set up the party ASAP. I of course as mentioned in other area am perfectly willing to pay 40 gold out of my own pocket to start a party. as mentioned in other topics, my intent it for Latvia and you can search around for it if you want.

as for the congress and presidential positions, I would have to disagree with. You see there is more that a President can do outside of erep limitations. He usually sets military and foreign policy while the congress dictates the economic policy. I also have to disagree with the congress voting for what the public thinks. I've seen it in many places and the public can be very stupid. This is why we have elected officials who make policy. Congress should be the intelligent people who are able to manage a country successfully, and in turn should be able to have their vote be their own in proposal voting.

Also, some congressional threads should be kept private as there will be governmental proceedings that will need to be kept quiet for security reasons, trust me, as a past President, I know.

I also believe that cabinet positions are very useful and should be explored to it's fullest. since our group will be small, it could be very effective to give cabinet positions to trusted congressmen, as obviously we'll have some unfriendlies in congress. The president will need assistance with tasks to be preformed for a country grow, he will need a group of people to debate with, a group of people who can execute programs if possible. Cabinet will be the people who are able to do that. I understand your issue with it creating division, and we don't necessarily have to call it cabinet, however there will be jobs that government will need to accomplish, and usually a cabinet will carry out these tasks. We will need people to do these things, and without an actual cabinet, we won't have the organization needed to make sure that the right people are actually doing the right things based off of the presidents decision.

and Party President being the presidential candidate I can partially agree with. you see a President should not be a party President as it takes away attention from country matters. In the USA it was always best to separate party and country government, and it makes both class of politicians much more effective. Now depending on our size I believe it would be efficient to have the PP be the nominee for Presidential elections, yet this decision can't be made for sure as we still don't know how many people we'll get and how many other political rival parties we'll have. We need to make sure that our system works to have no Political takeovers, and so one domestic candidate is optimal.

as for the whole public has the main voice, I agree with it in theory, however it's going to be a big time waster and we're going to have numerous problems with it. The public isn't generally that smart, and I mean no offense to anyone, but there will be many in the general public that do not involve themselves, lack a general understanding and would simply voice their opinion. if we give them a vote, it would be many uninformed decisions.

All in all, I believe we need to see how many citizens we get, that will easily determine if we need a cabinet, (and I imagine if we have one, it will be rather small) and it will also help us decide on what type of government we should run.
Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam

Back to top Go down

Post  RoyMunson Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:53 pm

You are assuming that most congressmen in eLatvia will be active and informed. That is almost never the case. I suggest not having a cabinet or other appointed offices, because we will have a small population, and in order to recruit others to immigrate to eLatvia, we should be promoting an egalitarian political system.
RoyMunson
RoyMunson

Back to top Go down

Post  JMatH Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 pm

RoyMunson wrote:You are assuming that most congressmen in eLatvia will be active and informed. That is almost never the case. I suggest not having a cabinet or other appointed offices, because we will have a small population, and in order to recruit others to immigrate to eLatvia, we should be promoting an egalitarian political system.

Shouldn't the citizens have enough trust in congress for making the right choices? If not, then what's the point of congress if everyone's congress?
JMatH
JMatH

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Sam Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:28 pm

RoyMunson wrote:You are assuming that most congressmen in eLatvia will be active and informed. That is almost never the case. I suggest not having a cabinet or other appointed offices, because we will have a small population, and in order to recruit others to immigrate to eLatvia, we should be promoting an egalitarian political system.

maybe in Canada that would have been the case, but i'm sure that this time around we'll be able to find a lot of active citizens who will be great in congress. and you may have missed the part where I said trusted congressmen, of course if we have a cabinet, it will be only made of those who are active and informed.

also, I realize that we will have a small population, but we're going to need some kind of organization to run recruitment. What exactly would you propose for a recruitment system, and who would effectively carry out these task? without a structured group of people to do these jobs, then there will be no accountability, nor organization, nor efficiency in accomplishing the tasks. the solution to that would to have a task master over the issue, however we cannot rely on just the President to oversee everything. If we want some kind of jobs done, there will need to be oversight and leadership, something cabinet can provide through a structured chain of command.
Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam

Back to top Go down

Post  RoyMunson Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:03 am

Cabinet is just an excuse for patronage. There is no need for it. If anyone wants to recruit people, they are welcome. There is no need for all this structure when we are dealing with such a small population. I understand your insistence on structure and bureaucracy, but this is not the eUS or eCanada. And when someone uses the word "trusted", I shudder. Government isn't about trust, it's about concrete accountability to the electorate, in which cabinet members have none.

I believe the best recruitment tool we have at our disposal is the opportunity for a non-oligarchical system of government. Where citizens are a part of governance. If you have such a low view of the 'average' citizen, why would you have such a high view of congress? Not to mention, that if we are a target of takeover, many of those seats will be foreign-occupied.
RoyMunson
RoyMunson

Back to top Go down

Post  Namejs Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:43 am

Ja tev gribās, iekod ribās.

Lieki kulstat mēli, pimpausīši Smile

Namejs

Back to top Go down

Post  visvaldis Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:07 pm

wtf ko tu ar to domāji ?? Very Happy

visvaldis

Back to top Go down

Post  Namejs Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:32 pm

Pavahra pavahlstī papiehder palahtviešiem, panehvis paohnkuhļiem pasehmiehm, pakahs pašeiht paaihzrauhtīhgi parahksta papahlahgus.

Namejs

Back to top Go down

Post  Meissner Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:40 pm

This is just my two cents on the matter. First of all, I somewhat disagree with the notion of having a private forum for congress. I know that national security is a big priority to keep our gold from being taken, but, the average joe like me still needs to know what is happening and to be informed on the decision making process. Maybe we could have a private forum in which citizens can have access to. Either that, or some sort of news agency which has access to privy matters and can report on it. I don't like the idea of policy being made behind closed doors.

I also support the idea for a single party. This way, if any political takeover was attempted we would either see the creation of another large party out of nowhere, or, a large boost in the single party numbers. It is important to get the citizens who are here to join the single party, for the sake of national unity, instead of splintering off into separate ones. This could be done through an awareness campaign via the media.

again, just my two cents.

Meissner

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Sam Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:38 pm

alright, well in responce to Roy, I've been doing some thinking about government, and here's what I've concluded. We don't need cabinet right now, as we have a very very small community. At the same time, we're going to need an organization of congress so that we know which ones are trusted and active on the forums. We need to be effecive with our proposals so that we can instal economic policy right away.

Also, congressional discussions should public, as we won't necessarily have any security matters to deal with. That will be the ultimate transparancy in government, which will be best so that active people on the forum will have a voice as well.

We all have the chance to have fun with this government, so lets try to do that with little stress in policy making. I still stand by the fact that we're still going to need people to carry out certian tasks as without a cabinet, all government work will end up being volunteer related, which can't exactly be trusted as we can have a lack of people.

and Meissner, I have a political party that is going to work with Joey to help keep Latvia secure fro mforeign invader groups.
Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam

Back to top Go down

Post  Alvin Tea Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:51 pm

The congress should be open for the public, most definitely.

And one thing I disagree with is the one-party system. Even though we might be target for a political takeover we can't work against the most formal foundation of a democracy; competing parties. If we want to create a stable eLatvian-foundation I suggest that we create a coalition for every eLatvian party that have the country's best in their intentions.

Alvin Tea

Back to top Go down

Post  RoyMunson Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:35 pm

The one-party suggestion is just for maximum protection from presidential takeover. Multiple domestic parties is fine, as long as we aren't splitting votes and allowing invaders to get seats.
RoyMunson
RoyMunson

Back to top Go down

System of Government Empty Re:System of government

Post  Fallon Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:19 am

As far as a system of government.......I'am not so sure about total public decisions being left entirely in their care.I believe the congress selected should be able to handle the decisions between them without outside interference,but a public forum can be used by all to discuss every1's views on matters.
The one party setup seems like a good one also....i'd be willing to go along with that to try and stop takeovers of any kind.
As for the private forum for the congress.....hmmm... i am not to sure about that,i believe every1 should know whats going on in eLatvia.....but the flip side to that is people who wish to use this country for other gains...should be kept in the dark and let congress decide matters.But iam open ended on this matter.
We'll see how things develop over the next while.
Fallon
Fallon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down